The Inauguration of Barack Obama

Published by MJR on January 22nd, 2009 in Essay, Photos, Slideshow | 16 Comments »

[slidepress gallery="the-inauguration-of-barack-obama"]

Photo Reportage for The Wall Street Journal 01/20/09: link

16 Responses to “The Inauguration of Barack Obama”

1. david root Says:

January 22nd, 2009 at 6:40 pm

nice images mustafah.

too bad more didn’t make it into the journal….don’t know why they went with color either.

be good.

2. Rich Mattingly Says:

January 22nd, 2009 at 6:54 pm

Really strong set, man – just what I expected it to be. The atmosphere in your shots feels so heavy and consistent to me.

3. Blake Says:

January 22nd, 2009 at 7:19 pm

wow. People going up escalator… they’re ascending through some sort of waterfall into a new age.

The thing that struck me is seeing the abundance of people, but rarely does everyone form a consistent crowd. But throughout the images, there are people everywhere moving in countless directions.

The feel I took away was: urban concrete, black clothing, cold weather, something monumental is happening, a tangible current in the scene. There’s an ambiguity that I like. The radio broadcast sounded with cheery fanfare. The images do have a heaviness about them. Maybe it’s the cold? the change in the air? the tension of transformation?

Nice work.

4. Justin Ide Says:

January 22nd, 2009 at 11:04 pm

amazing work … great set of images from such a wonderfully historical event. you rock.

5. sean Says:

January 23rd, 2009 at 12:51 am

you’re blowing my mind here! fantastic coverage. Ace.

6. Sarah Smith Photography Says:

January 23rd, 2009 at 1:04 am

WOW! truly amazing images. What an amazing view of the world around you, you have :)

7. wei Says:

January 23rd, 2009 at 2:48 am

gawd! this is just unreal. i can’t decide if i like the color or bw more. awesome regardless!

8. mikko Says:

January 23rd, 2009 at 11:06 am

The set is sooo strong. Checked the WSJ site. I definitely prefer the black and white. But that’s probably no surprise. And they left out most of my favorite frames (OR they just didn’t fit the story) . You should attach some audio to the slideshow if you have any.

No 37 blew my mind.

Too bad you couldn’t make it to the Old Ebbitt Grill on Wednesday. The Oyster shooters were gross, but met this cool Polaris guy called Tim Fadek. He’s going to be one of the Foundry teachers this coming summer.

Take it easy.

9. MJR Says:

January 23rd, 2009 at 11:10 am

@mikko – were you at inaug?

@all – they looked amazing in color!!

10. mikko Says:

January 23rd, 2009 at 3:37 pm

@ MJR

The color ones looked great too, of course, but I always seem to prefer black and white.

Yeah, I was in DC for a week. Shot the inauguration day from 4am till midnight, mainly just crowds in the metro, at the Mall, in town, etc. I had no credentials but a random stranger gave a ticket to the silver area. Haven’t really gone through my shit yet. Wasn’t working for anybody, so there’s no real hurry . Flew back to UK this morning and I got loads of other stuff to work on at the moment.

11. mustafah Says:

January 23rd, 2009 at 6:47 pm

@mikko sorry i didn’t make it out to the grill. facing heavy traffic back into D.C. and long drive back to a lot of work, i had to bail. next time, man.

glad you liked #37. i saw it and despite getting hassled by a metro cop afterwards, it was worth it.

hope everyone enjoyed.

12. Wouter Brandsma Says:

January 25th, 2009 at 6:34 am

This is such a great series Mustafah. Absolutely amazing and really good in B&W (so much better than the color work in my opinion).

13. blog still-dancing.com » Mustafah Abdulaziz, The Inauguration of Barack Obama Says:

January 27th, 2009 at 10:18 am

[...] Mustafah Abdulaziz, The Inauguration of Barack Obama [...]

14. David Walter Banks Says:

February 16th, 2009 at 4:10 pm

Great coverage Mustafah – definitely some of the better work I saw come out of that day.

Pleasure to meet you and kick it up in NYC last month too.

15. anonymous Says:

February 24th, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Here’s a really great video on Obama’s inauguration.
    The Power of One!